Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Cardiologist Visit

On Monday I took Minnie to the Cardiologist for a follow-up from her hospital visit when she was 2 weeks old. They did an ultrasound to look at her heart and said that the hole between the two sides (I think it's called a PFO) is actually an abnormal size right now (as opposed to a "normal" size). So, after a long explanation, which I sort of actually understood, he said that having this could affect her in 3 or 4 decades and her heart may start to have problems because of an increased volume on one side. If in time the hole is still an abnormal size, when she is 2 they can go in and close it. Or, when she is 4, 5 or 6 they can do a procedure which plugs the hole. He said she would be a much better candidate for that rather than the surgery. I have to take her back in 6 months and they'll look at it again to see what it's doing. I was honestly expecting them to say it was no big deal and never come back. But, this seems to be somewhat common and fixable so I'm not worried. It's not hurting her or affecting her growth so that is good. Her murmur is still there too but she should grow out of that. Anyway, we are happy it is nothing too serious and she is fine and happy! Who wouldn't be with those cheeks?

This girl could be on her tummy all day long! She loves it.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Kami, she is so cute. I can't believe how fast they grow! I'm glad she is doing well and her condition is treatable. What a relief!

The Varo's said...

She is such a beautiful baby! I'm glad that things are going to be ok.

Samantha and Tyrel Ross said...

That picture is adorable!! I love her cheeks!! Well I hope your next appt. goes well. I'm sure everything will go fine

Chelsea said...

I am glad that it is fixable...but I would still be a worried wreck for the next few years...and decades! Good luck!!
I am so impressed that she loves to be on her tummy. Lucky you!!

JJ said...

Hey Kami! You have a beautiful family! Hope you are doing well!

Nuestra Familia said...

Cardiologists checks are no fun, basically cause they make me nervous. The best is when they tell you that you not to come back for any more follow ups!! Your Mimi is so beautiful and you look great too.

benandchayfuller said...

I'm glad everything is going to be ok. I'm so jealous she loves to be on her belly. Caleb hated it and still does!!